TEACHER CERTIFICATION PROGRAM
Knight-Thompson Speechwork is pleased to announce we will be offering a three-week Teacher Certification program in Knight-Thompson Speechwork in July 2015, in New York City. For more details, please go to the event page for that workshop.
The purpose of the Certification is to make sure that its participants possess:
- A thorough understanding of the Knight-Thompson approach to speech training.
- A thorough knowledge of the International Phonetic Alphabet and an ability to use it effectively in teaching.
- A thorough understanding of the Knight-Thompson approach to the methodology of accent training.
- An ability to productively use research resources for accent acquisition, as well as efficiently learn and effectively model new accents
- A demonstrated ability to teach this material effectively and with full understanding.
- A demonstrated ability to use this approach creatively in teaching.
The emphasis in the Certification program is be on individual development and all participants receive substantial individual attention and mentoring. Participation in the Certification program does not guarantee certification: in some cases we may require additional work to demonstrate understanding and teaching skill. Admission to the Teacher Certification Program is open only to participants who have already taken Experiencing Speech, Experiencing Accents and a Phonetics Intensive*. Prospective participants in the Teacher Certification Program also must have some experience incorporating this approach in their own teaching before going on to Certification.
*Participants who feel they have a strong and thorough understanding of the IPA and narrow transcription may try to “test-out” of this requirement, if desired.
Prospective participants are required to read and work through the following three texts before the beginning of the program:
- Speaking With Skill, Dudley Knight
- A Practical Introduction to Phonetics, J.C. Catford
- Practical Phonetics and Phonology, Beverly Collins and Inger Mees
In addition to the three required texts, the following book is strongly recommended.
- Word on the Street, John McWhorter
This is a lively read, aimed at a general audience, but manages to be a solid introduction to the principles of language change and variety and the view of linguistic relativity that these follows ineluctably from these facts. If you feel you have a strong, detailed understanding of this subject already, then this text is not absolutely necessary. (Nor is it the only text by which you can acquire this understanding—there are several other books by John McWhorter that may fit the bill. There are precious few by other writers that are as accessible, though you may wish to browse through the books listed here.)
The following books are also recommended.
- Accents of English, by J.C. Wells
- Longman Pronunciation Dictionary, by J.C. Wells
- Phonetic Symbol Guide, by William Ladusaw and Geoffrey Pullum
- The Sound Patterns of Spoken English, by Linda Shockey. (This is an advanced text, and should be tackled after Catford and Collins and Mees.)
There is a Facebook discussion group set up specifically to allow prospective participants to discuss the reading, teaching, and anything else pertaining to the work. Active participation in the discussion forum through the year leading up to the program is strongly encouraged (though not required). Prospective participants in the Teacher Certification workshop should request an invitation to the Facebook discussion group. Prospective participants, are, of course, also encouraged to participate in discussions on the regular KTS Facebook group and on the KTS blog.
The enrollment fee for the Certification is $3,000.
In order to plan effectively for these workshops, it’s important to have a clear sense of the commitment of potential participants. For that reason we ask for a deposit of $500 to secure your place in the workshop. This is due by May 15th, 2015. The full payment is due June 25th. If your plans change, and you are unable to attend, we will refund any payment less $100 if you inform us before July 1st. After that date, however, no refunds are possible. Please plan accordingly.
To apply for the next Teacher Certification workshop click on the link below.
Our next Teacher Certification Course is listed below. Click on the link to get more details for that workshop and to register.